COMPANIES ACT 1965
PART III - CONSTITUTION OF COMPANIES
DIVISION 2 - POWERS
Section 24. Omission of "Berhad" in name of charitable and other companies.
(1) Where it is proved to the satisfaction of the Minister that a proposed limited company is being formed for the purpose of providing recreation or amusement or promoting commerce, industry, art, science, religion, charity, pension or superannuation schemes or any other object useful to the community, and will apply its profits, if any, or other income in promoting its objects and will prohibit the payment of any dividend to its members, the Minister may (after requiring, if he thinks fit, the proposal to be advertised in such manner as he directs either generally or in a particular case) by licence direct that it be registered as a company with limited liability without the addition of the word "Berhad" to its name, and the company may be registered accordingly.
(2) Where it is proved to the satisfaction of the Minister -
(a) that the objects of a limited company are restricted to those specified in subsection (1) and to objects incidental or conducive thereto; and the Minister may by licence authorize the company to change its name to a name which does not contain the word "Berhad", being a name approved by the Registrar.
(b) that by its constitution the company is required to apply its profits, if any, or other income in promoting its objects and is prohibited from paying any dividend to its members,
(3) A licence under this section may be issued on such conditions as the Minister thinks fit, and those conditions shall be binding on the company and shall if the Minister so directs be inserted in the memorandum or articles of the company and the memorandum or articles may by special resolution be altered to give effect to any such direction.
(4) Where the memorandum or articles of a company include as a result of a direction of the Minister given pursuant to subsection (3) or pursuant to any corresponding previous written law a provision that the memorandum or articles shall not be altered except with the consent of the Minister the company may with the consent of the Minister by special resolution alter any provision of the memorandum or articles.
(5) A company shall, while a licence granted by the Minister under this or under any corresponding previous written law is in force, be exempted from complying with the provisions of this Act relating to the use of the word "Berhad" as any part of its name.
(6) A licence under this section or under any corresponding previous written law may at any time be revoked by the Minister and upon revocation the Registrar shall enter the word "Berhad' at the end of the name of the company upon the register, and the company shall thereupon cease to enjoy the exemption granted by reason of the licence under this section but before a licence is so revoked the Minister shall give to the company notice in writing of his intention and shall afford it an opportunity to be heard.
(7) Where a licence under this section or under any corresponding previous written law is revoked the memorandum or articles of the Company may be altered by special resolution so as to remove any provision in or to the effect that the memorandum or articles may be altered only with the consent of the Minister and paragraph 19 (1) (c) shall apply to the company as if it had never had a licence under this section.
Copyright © 2003 PNMB-LawNet. All rights reserved.